Saturday, March 29, 2014

Leaving Google Drive After Two Years

I subscribed to Drive back when it was still known as Docs. It has improved significantly over the past two years. The file upload limit has been raised from 10 GB to 1 TB; when uploading, files did not suffer from integrity issues. Google has recently announced massive savings for all Drive users. At just $9.99 a month  for 1 TB of storage, this should attract more users to keep their digital memories in the cloud. Unfortunately, I will not be one of them.

There was always an issue with upload speeds. Advances in fibre optic technology and a supposed server facility in Singapore should have painted a rosy picture, but my uploads were always capped at 1 MB/s. This meant that hours would have to be spent waiting for files to be populated in the cloud. This bottleneck could not be ignored. Even with archaic USB 2.0 ports, transfers to flash drives were speedy at 3 MB/s. Imagine the possibilities with latest USB 3.1!

Call me old-fashioned; I do not like to be billed on a monthly basis. Having to check my statements every 30 days is a hassle and an inconvenience I would rather do without. Neither do I enjoy paying for unused storage. Google provides me with two alternatives: 100 GB for 1.99 a month or 1 TB for 9.99 a month. The 200 GB and 400 GB plans were clearing missing from the offer platter. With only 150 GB of data, am I to pay Google for the unused 850 GB of disk space? Perhaps this makes economic sense from Google's perspective. But from a consumer standpoint, this is an outright wastage. An absolute deal breaker.

I will be cancelling my 200 GB legacy plan before the weekend is over.

No comments:

Post a Comment